I am not an expert, just a discerning wine lover or amateur de vin (as the French say), but everyone has a different palate, likes and dislikes so it must be understood that any of my recommendations are personal. I just hope that you find them useful or at the very least - interesting. I also hope you enjoy my photos. It is more fun sharing then keeping them backed up on a hard drive.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Scrumptious Ontario Pinot Gris'

Many like the stark minerality and acid of a Pinot Grigio but for me I tend to be attracted to the lusher expression of the grape. That does not mean none of the elements that make Pinot Grigio attractive are not there, just a slightly different feel. In Ontario, I have yet to find the full mouthfeel of an Alsatian Pinot Gris but there is a different and equally beautiful expression through the terriors of Niagara. The QPR for these wines is quite notable.

I was lucky enough to tank -taste this in its infancy and even then it was interesting and complex...

COYOTE'S RUN - PINOT GRIS - ST. DAVID'S - 2009 - $17.95
Nose of green apple, honeydew melon, nutmeg & flint. Palate: mineral, white grapefruit with a lemon acidity.

http://www.winerytohome.com/files/viewwine.html?sku=3035&referral=WineAlign



I like both the 2009 & 2010 from Malivoire, although quite different, they are both beautiful in their own way...

MALIVOIRE - PINOT GRIS - BEAMSVILLE - 2009 - $19.95
Stone fruit with beautiful and minerality

http://www.malivoire.com/index.php?page=wine-detail&productID=58

MALIVOIRE - PINOT GRIS - BEAMSVILLE - 2010 - $19.95
Citrus & tropical fruit on the nose, citrus and pear and hint of flint on the palate

http://www.malivoire.com/index.php?page=wine-detail&productID=81

No comments:

Post a Comment