I am not an expert, just a discerning wine lover or amateur de vin (as the French say), but everyone has a different palate, likes and dislikes so it must be understood that any of my recommendations are personal. I just hope that you find them useful or at the very least - interesting. I also hope you enjoy my photos. It is more fun sharing then keeping them backed up on a hard drive.

Monday, January 30, 2012

So Much Wine So Little Time... (QPR L-R)

This has been my recent mantra, looking through seemingly infinite pages of wine notes, at the same time trying to squeeze some time in between work & school to blog. I love to share the real finds or the special experiences I've had, that is why I feel remiss to be still writing about my fall trip now. But wine only gets better with age right?

First stop Olivier Pithon, an organic & biodynamic winery in Calce, Rousillon. All the wines I tasted were worthy of a write up but these two were standouts.

Olivier Pithon - Cuvee Lais - 2009, Languedoc, France - 15.50
Assemblage of Grenache, Carignan, Syrah & Mouvedre from 3 different terriors - Earthy, gamey, cocoa powder & tobacco on the nose. Brambleberry, complex palate with long finish.

 
Olivier Pithon - Le Pilou - 2008, Languedoc, France - 30.00
Old vine carignan. Cassis, cherry on the nose. Low yield gives a palate an intense impression of dried, concentrated fruit. Elegant wine with lengthy finish.
http://www.domaineolivierpithon.com/domaine-olivier_pithon-tarifs.htm


Next up was Paziols, Languedoc & Domaine Jones. It was bustling when we stopped in because Katie was ensconsed in the wine making process. The activity and smell of fermentation only heightened the experience.

Domaine Jones - Jones Blanc - 2010, Grenache Gris, Maury/Languedoc, France - 12.00
Nose of slate and citrus blossom. Lime, grapefruit and vanilla on palate. Round & well-integrated.

Domaine Jones - Jones Fitou - 2010, Carignan/Grenache/Syrah, Fitou/Languedoc, France - 16.00
Complex nose of coffee, chocolate and black cherry with blackberry & beautifully integrated palate.
http://www.domainejones.com/theWines.html

No comments:

Post a Comment